Maximum $1500 for primary care residents and $1000 for other residents and fellows (Revised 8/30/2009)
The hospital has agreed to reimburse reasonable moving expenses up to limits listed above for new residents who move to the Chattanooga area to start their residency training. Residents must submit original receipts (must indicate proof of payment) and an itemized list of moving expenses to the Residency Program Coordinator. The list should denote the city from which the resident is moving to Chattanooga and the date(s) of the trip(s). The resident may submit original receipts to the Residency Program Coordinator on the day of his/her department orientation. The Coordinator must complete a hospital Check Request Form and submit with original receipts to the UTCOMC Business Office within 30 days of beginning training (by July 30). We are encouraging incoming residents and fellows to submit to the coordinators as soon as they move so we can process quickly and provide them with needed funds – especially since the first paycheck will not be issued until the end of the first month of training.
Allowable relocation expenses may include:
- payment for a moving company or individual with official signed receipt denoting date of trip, service provided, to whom payment is made, and method of payment (cash, check or credit card)
- rental of moving trailer, truck or van if the resident is moving himself/herself
- moving boxes and packing tape
- mileage for personal vehicle(s) used to move from the resident’s original place of residence to the Chattanooga area at $.54 per mile (based on Rand/McNally Atlas or Yahoo.com map services http://maps.yahoo.com/) with beginning and ending odometer readings for each vehicle used in travel documented with your receipts.
- One additional driving trip related to house/apartment hunting
- Limit of up to a total of two nights hotel expenses for trips related to house/apartment hunting and/or moving to the area and within the approved UT hotel limits*.
- coach or special discounted airfare if the resident is traveling considerable distance
Expenses for which a resident will not be reimbursed may include:
- meals during the move
- moving that occurred prior to either the release of Match results or prior to the offer of a letter of commitment for residents secured outside the Match
- driving mileage that occurs in excess of one round-trip visit between the incoming resident’s/fellow’s original residence and the Chattanooga area to look for housing and the actual one-way trip from the original residence to move to the Chattanooga area
- mileage for rented vehicles used in moving (e.g., one cannot be reimbursed for
mileage for a rental truck or van)
- relocating to a new house or apartment if already living in the Chattanooga area
- deposits for apartments and utilities
- legal fees for problems related to moving (e.g., loss of deposits for movers who default on services; loss for breakage by movers; disputes with apartment managers or home owners, etc.)
- additional travel or fees related to obtaining visas to enter the country
- moving expenses for dependents if they move at a different time from the resident
This list is not an all-inclusive list but represents recent problems encountered with incoming residents in past years.
*UT Approved Hotel Reimbursement Rates
Chattanooga/Hamilton County Area: Maximum Lodging per night is $81