EM Resident Salary and Benefits
Resident/Fellow Stipend Scale 2015 - 2016*
and Life Offset**)
*The 2015-16 scale represents an approximate 2.5% increase over base 2014-15 stipends.
**Includes $600 allowance for disability and life insurance premiums
Erlanger provides comfortable call quarters for residents and fellows within the hospital with snacks and drinks during evening hours in the call quarters lounge.
Resident Insurance Benefits
The University provides excellent group insurance plans beginning the first day of residency or fellowship training--
- Health, Vision, and Dental Insurance
- Life insurance ($100,000 benefit)
- Long-term disability insurance (choose monthly benefit of $1500, $2500, $4000, or $5000)
Vacation and Leave
The University provides up to three weeks vacation per year, including a few days or week during the Christmas and New Years Season). Residents are not guaranteed holiday leave unless the service or area to which the resident is assigned is closed for the holiday. Annual sick leave is available, as well as parental leave in accordance with University policies.
Educational (Conference) Leave
The program permits up to one week educational conference leave each year. Funds are available from the department at the discretion of the Chair and Program Director. Reimbursement is subject to University of Tennessee Travel and Reimbursement Policies and Procedures.
Immunity from Professional Liability (i.e., Malpractice)
As employees of the State of Tennessee, residents are protected against suits for malpractice via the Tennessee Claims Commission Act. The State is self-insured so there is no insurance carrier; however, coverage is similar to what would be stated in coverage is similar to what would be stated in an insurance policy.
Reimbursement for Professional Development Expenses
Each program has some funding that may be used at the discretion of the Chair and Program Director for reimbursement toward professional developent (e.g., regional or national conference, textbooks, electronic CME materials, USMLE Step 3 fee, etc.), Amounts may vary by program and by level.
Other GME Benefits
- Orientation stipend for incoming Residents and Fellows ($250)
- Funding for call meals at primary affiliated site - Erlanger
- Initial certifications at no charge (BLS, PALS, ACLS, and ATLS)
- Alpha digital pagers provided by Erlanger at no charge
- Covered parking (at no charge in the hospital parking garage)
- White, monogrammed lab coats each year
- Hepatitis B immunization and other required immunizations, annual TB skin testing, and flu vaccines at no charge
- Web email accounts at no charge
- Medical Library
- 24 hour computer access for research and personal use
- 24 hour access in Erlanger and access form anywhere outside the hosopital via Physician Portal, including electronic resources (e.g., Up-to-Date and Visicual DX)
- Copying privileges at no charge in the Erlanger Medical Library
- Access to all electronic databases via the UT Health Science Center Library (in Memphis) via the Internet and UT Net ID login
- Funding available via departments toward presentations at regional and national conferences -- at the discretion of the Chair and Program Director
- Local CME conferences and seminars spnosored by the University - at no charge to Residents and Fellows
- Resident/Fellow organization
- Availability of on-site child care available at the hospital (Erlanger e-Kids) on a space available basis and at a discounted rate equivalent to Erlanger employees
- Notary service at no charge
- Resident Assistance Program for counseling, legal, and financial matters (ENI)
- AIRS Program - Aid to Impaired Residents -- offers intervention and assistance to Residents and Fellows who admit impairment and comply with recommended treatment. Given compliance with treatment guidelines, every effort is made to allow a Resident or Fellow to continue and complete residency training and benefits.
- Exercise room in Erlanger at no charge
- AMA Introduction to the Practice of Medicine online modules at no charge
- IHI Open School Patient Safety and Quality Improvement online modules at no charge
- Workers Compensation coverage for work-related illness, accident, or expoisure
- Free post office box at the Erlanger US Post Office
- University of Tennessee at Chattanooga Aquatic and Recreation Center (ARC) -- membership available at a discounted fee of $150 per six months plus one-time $15 fee. Spouse membership also available at discounted rate of $75 per six months plus a one-time $15 fee